Closest to Your Heart - chapter 6


In early December, May asked Audrienne to come over for supper one night. Audrienne agreed and together the women picked 6:30 as a good time to sit down for the meal. It gave both of them time to get home from the hospital and prepare for supper.
On the day that Audrienne was to come, May was at the hospital as usual. She spent the day reading and talking to Abel. Oliver came early to pick up May.
"Looks like it's clouding up, Ma." Oliver said as May climbed into the truck.
"Yeah, I know. You think it'll snow?" she asked.
"It could. Hold on," Oliver reached and turned the dial on the radio. The weather report came in kind of scratchy. " Sounds like there's a storm heading our way."
"I hope Audrienne can still come." May murmured.
"They're saying it's not coming until late tonight. I wouldn't worry." Oliver said, flicking the radio off.
" She's been such an encouragement to me these past months. I want to repay her kindness." May said. "She seemed excited about coming tonight." She watched her son.
" Why's that?" Oliver kept his gaze on the road.
"Why do you think?" May grinned.
Oliver's neck turned red as a blush crept up. " Maybe she don't like to cook all the time." he suggested.
"Maybe." May chuckled. "I guess she might get tired of that. Seein' as how she has to work, keep house, and take care of her dad. She'll make a great wife someday."
"Ma!" Oliver said, his cheeks now red.
"I know. I just want what's best for you, son. " May said.
"Well maybe Audrienne ain't in God's plan for me." Oliver said.
"Maybe not." May sobered. "I'm sorry to get you riled. Maybe I oughtta call her and tell her not to come after all, with the storm comin'."
"Don't do that. I don't mind, just don't force me into somethin', please, Ma. " Oliver glanced at May. "Plus, like the radio said, the storm probably won't come till late tonight. It'll be fine."
They rode the rest of the way home chatting about their days. The talk was light and soon enough they were pulling into the familiar farmyard. May climbed out of the truck and headed towards the house. Rusty, the big lug of a dog, sat on the porch and watched May until she scratched his neck and patted his head. Then he followed Oliver into the barn.
May walked into the house and took off her coat and hat. She went into the kitchen and picked up an ever-present apron, which was hanging on the back of one of the chairs. She wrapped the apron around her body and tied the strings behind her back while she glanced at the clock.
She turned from the wall and set herself to making supper. She watched through the kitchen window as Oliver took care of the evening farm chores. May turned to look at the clock again before she ran upstairs  and changed into a nice dress. She happened to glance out the window and noticed that the sky had gotten dark awful fast.
" Maybe I should call Audrienne and tell her not to come."Even as she said this to herself, headlights caught May's attention.
Too late now, she thought. She finished fixing her hair and then walked downstairs and into the kitchen to check the cooking food. She heard the front door open and walked out to greet Audrienne. Oliver had shown her in and was now excusing himself to go upstairs and change out of his work clothes.
May greeted her guest warmly and took her coat. She led Audrienne to the kitchen and enlisted her help in finishing supper. The job was soon done, and May went to call Oliver to eat.
Supper was a wholesome affair, with plenty of eating and good-natured teasing. May relaxed when she saw that Oliver was comfortable around Audrienne. After the meal was finished, the trio moved to the living room to drink coffee and spend a quiet evening together.
As they sat down, May decided to get a few pieces of cake to eat. As she cut the spice cake, she looked out the window. She was surprised to find it snowing heavily. Already there was almost five inches on the ground.
May picked up the tray of cake slices and hurried to the living room. "Oliver, " she said as she entered, " We may have been wrong about the weather."
"Why's that, Ma?" Oliver asked.
"Well , I just happened to glance out the kitchen window and saw about five inches of snow sittin' on the front yard."
Oliver rose and walked over to one of the windows. He pulled a curtain out of the way and peered outside. "You're right, Ma. And it's coming down thicker by the minute. Storm must've been moving faster than they thought."
"We'd better get some more wood from out back." May said.
"What about me?" Audrienne spoke from the couch where she sat. " Will I be able to get home?"
"We could try to take you, but I wouldn't suggest it." Oliver said. "The snow is so thick it might be hard to see the road."
" I hope you don't mind, Audrienne, but you'll have to stay the night. " May walked to the couch and sat with the girl.
" I guess I have no choice in the matter!" Audrienne shrugged. "Do you have room?"
"Oh, yes. You can sleep in Evelyn's old room. It's right across the hall from me." May said.
"I'm gonna go out to the barn and check on the stock, Ma. "Oliver said as he put his heavy farm coat on.
"All right. I'd tie a rope to the house on the way so you can find your way back." May said.
" Yes, ma'am." Oliver put on his hat and stepped out the door.
May and Audrienne made themselves comfortable and chatted while they waited for Oliver to come back inside. When he did, May had another cup of coffee ready for him.
"It's bone-chillin' out there. " Oliver commented. He wrapped his hands around the warm mug and inched closer to the fireplace. "Thanks for the coffee, Ma."
"No problem, son." May smiled at him." You know, the last time there was a storm this bad you were lost in it."
"Really?" Audrienne said, her interest perked.
"Oh, yes." May turned to face her friend. "It was a night much like tonight,'cept it was colder. And the wind was blowin' real fierce. Abel said the snow stung when it hit your face.
"Oliver was just a little tot when he decided that help Pa with the chores that night."
"I wasn't no tot, Ma." Oliver interrupted. "I was 'bout seven years old."
" Sorry, son. Anyway, he decided this particular night that he'd help do the choring. He even argued that 'Pa'll need extra help 'cause it's snowy.' Abel decided to let him help. He told me he was gonna let him help while he still wanted to. So I helped bundle him up good and tight, and he followed Abel  and Will right out the door.
"About forty minutes later I heard the boys and Abel come back in. I walked out with three mugs fo hot chocolate for them.
"' Didn't Oliver have his yet?' Abel asked, seeing the third cup.
"'How could he?' I replied
"'Whaddya mean?'
"'What do you mean "what do I mean"?' I asked, starting to panic. 'Ain't Oliver with you?'
"' He said he was comin' inside a half hour ago!' Abel explained. 'That boy musta lost himself somewhere between the barn and the house. I'd better go and try to find him.'
"'I'll go with ya, Pa.' Will piped up.
"'No, we already lost one boy, we gotta keep you.' Abel told him and tousled his hair.
"I told Abel then that I was going to help him. I wasn't gonna  let him go out there alone. He thought on it a bit and then nodded his head in agreement. 'I got several hundred yards of rope. We'll tie ourselves to the barn and check the area around it.' We bundled up and headed out.
"The snow was knee deep. We plowed our way to the barn and tied ourselves to one of the poles on each end of it. Then we went out as far as the ropes wold let us, lookin' for Oliver. The snow was coming down so thick you couldn't see four feet ahead of you.
"We searched for two hours, tying ourselves to anything; the house, fences, and old wagon that was behind the barn. Finally we had to take a break to warm up. We went inside where we ate leftover food from supper. Well, Abel ate, that is. I couldn't eat 'cause fear for Oliver had tied my stomach in knots. So I just drank lots of hot coffee.
"We went back out and searched for another hour. The situation was practically hopeless. The snow was near a foot higher than when we started, and though it weren't snowin' as hard, it didn't look like it was lettin' up.
"Abel sent me to go into the house to get warm, so I headed that direction. He was going to the barn to put the ropes away. We'd searched all we could, so now I started praying really hard.
"All the sudden , through the snow, I heard Abel calling my name. I turned around and ran, as well as I could in all the snow, to the barn. I entered the barn and followed Abel's voice to one of the empty stalls.
" When I came around the wall,my eyes just 'bout popped out of my head! There, sleeping on the hay, was Oliver. He must've been tuckered form his hike through the snow, because even Abel yellin' my name hadn't woke him up. I knelt beside him and shook his shoulder till he woke up. When he did he nearly jumped into my arms.
"I sat there and held him while he told us all about how he'd got lost and after he found a fence he followed it to the barn. He didn't want to get lost again, so he figured he'd just spend the night in the barn. With all the animals it was warm enough, so he laid in the hay and fell asleep.
"After Oliver told us what'd happened, Abel took him from me and we went in the house, thanking God. The next morning was clear and bright, all traces of the blizzard gone. Except for a lot of snow." May chuckled.
"That sure was a night I'll never forget." Oliver said. "I was scared outta my skin, thinkin' I might freeze to death."
"We probably wouldn'ta found you until the snow melted if you hadn't made it to the barn!" May said to her son.
"God must've guided you to that fence."Audrienne said, looking at Oliver.
"I think so, too." Oliver smiled.
"Well," May said, looking at the clock on the mantle," It's gettin' pretty late. I guess we oughtta turn out the lights." She rose and began to gather the dishes from the coffee table. Audrienne helped her carry the plates and cups to the kitchen.
"I'll just leave 'em there for now." May said about the dishes she placed in the sink. "Just follow me and I'll show you where you'll be sleeping."
Audrienne followed May up the front stairs to a bedroom towards the back of the house. As May opened the door, Audrienne found herself looking into a small but cozy room. There was faded yellow wallpaper on the wall, and old posters advertising rodeos covered some of it. There was a desk in front of a tall window, and a  bed covered in a home-made quilt.
"What do ya think?" May asked.
"I love it!" Audrienne replied. "What are all the posters from?"
" Oh, Evelyn used to ride in the rodeos. She was a barrel racer. Pretty good, too." May explained. "Listen, you turn down the covers and I'll get you a nightgown to sleep in. It may not fit, but we'll just make do."
Audrienne did as she was told, and when May brought her and extre nightgown she changed into it, laying her green dress on the end of the bed. She walked over to the window and pushed back the curtain to look at the swirling snow. She tied back her dark hair and moved to crawl into the bed. She turned out the light and slipped beneath the covers of the soft bed.
"Dear God," Audrienne prayed," I thank You for letting me meet Mrs. Richardson and get to know her so well. I thank You for her hospitality and ask that You would bless this wonderful woman in a remarkable way. I've grown to love her, Lord, and I want the best for her and her family. I only ask that You do everything in order to Your will. Amen."

Comments

Emily Christine said…
I love your story and the characters! I cannot wait to read the rest--don't keep me waiting too long! :)
Anna said…
I am amazed! You keep me in such suspense, but I love every word. But I want it in print. "the big lug" - that made me smile and think of Deis.

Popular Posts