{little mister blue}

I am an aunt to a little baby boy who lives in Alabama. This November is his first birthday, and my in-laws are going down for his party, but Mechanic Man and I won't be able to make it. But I still wanted to make him something special, and I figured that if I got it finished in time for the missions trip that my in-laws are coming on this week I could send it with them and save us some money on postage.
That being said, I decided to make him a little stuffed animal of some sort. I have lots of them pinned on Pinterest because I plan on sewing some for my own kids someday. But when I went to see the tutorials, I couldn't find but one that actually had a tutorial, and it was for a pig. I kinda had my heart set on an elephant {don't ask me why...} but the elephant "tutorial" I had pinned was not a tutorial.

So I sighed, and I got frustrated, and then I decided to just draw my own pattern and see how it went. I think it turned out pretty good. But I decided to take pictures and make my own "tutorial" for Mister Blue, the elephant.

First, I obviously cut out the pieces. two sides, two heads, two blue ear pieces, two orange ear pieces.

 First I did the ears. I pinned them together, and cut tiny {like, 1/16th of an inch} notches all around the curved edges to help it lay smooth. Then I sewed around the curved edge. I think all my seam allowances were at about 1/4'' but I can't remember for sure. I'm pregnant, folks. It messes with the brain.
 Anyway, after sewing the ears, I turned them right side out and then pinned them between the head and the body {this is the only reason there's a head and a body. otherwise, i would've just made it all one piece and then struggled to attach the ears somehow} with the head facing backwards like this:
When you sew across that top line then, you fold the head forwards and get this:
 


 Next I took a little piece of white ribbon and cut it a few inches long. I melted the end with a match so it wouldn't fray and then tied a knot in that end. This is the makings of a tail.
 I took that tail and pinned it inside the elephant when I pinned {like crazy} the two sides together with the wrong sides out. I left his back leg open so I had a hole to stuff through, from about the back of his belly to the back of his foot. Then I notched around all the edges again. And stitched away, though it took a little more effort than usual {my machine was having some temperamental issues that day}.
 Then I turned him right-side-out and stuffed him with some batting, making sure to get his trunk nice and stiff. You can see in this picture a little better where I left an opening for stuffing.
 I did this while I watched The Waltons. Have I ever mentioned that I love that show? Probably... Anyways, next I stitched up his leg. I really need to work on those invisible stitches that are great for projects like this. At this point though, they don't stay stitched, and I wanted this toy to be durable.
 So I just stitched it up on the outside with matching thread. I don't think it turned out too ugly.
 Lastly, I gave Mister Blue two little black eyes with some embroidery thread. They ended up crooked somehow, but what can I say? How about "Happiness is homemade and homemade's not always perfect..." I think I'll make that my motto for all my crafting/ sewing projects from now on.
 And here he is! He reminds me a little bit of Babar, even though he's blue. I was pretty happy with how he turned out, and I'm considering making one for our baby too. I might even make them to sell someday.
Anyway, I hope he makes one little Alabama boy happy this November!

Comments

Danielle said…
He is perfect!

Ha! "I'm pregnant, folks. It messes with the brain." too funny and too true... but you did think about how to have to pieces so you could add ears! I think I would have forgotten that!

Popular Posts