{those promised projects}

Remember those projects I told you I was working on? Well, I finished two of them last weekend, and I'm here today to tell you all about them.
The first is a remake of a cabinet. When we moved into the house here, this set of drawers was in our shed. I thought then about redoing them but I never go around to it til now.

So, here is the before. No, it wasn't missing a drawer...I forgot to take a before picture and had already painted the top drawer.

And here is the after:
 I took advantage of the 80 degree weather we were having and painted most of it outside. I got the tan chalk paint at Walmart, along with a few other colors, for $.50 a piece. 

I spent a little extra time with the top...doing all the little detail work took most of an afternoon, but I am quite pleased with how it turned out.
 At the last minute, I decided on  a whim to paint some little red birds on.
 This one didn't turn out as good because of the crack it's on. I tried to make it look more like a Cardinal but...well, you be the judge.
 I couldn't help but think while I was painting about the quote on Pride & Prejudice by Mr. Bingley, "you all paint tables and embroider cushions..." when discussing accomplished young ladies.
 And this...oh, folks, I can't even tell you how excited I am to finally be able to show you this!
This is the quilt I started two years ago...

finished! I'll admit that it would have been done a whole lot faster if
a) I would have machine-quilted and 
b) I would have faithfully quilted on it. It did hang in a closet for a lot of months before I got the burning motivation to finish it. 
I made it big enough for a double bed, but you can't see the top two rows. The squares were cut out as 1' squares. I used a pretty pink flowery ribbon for the binding. This was my inspiration.
I can't wait to start my next quilt!
In the back left of this picture is the Little House on the Back of a Truck, which I realized that I still haven't done a follow-up post on. So maybe I'll get around to that someday.

I'm also planning on building a bookshelf for my cookbooks soon, so I may be posting that in the coming days. 

Comments

Erin Rae said…
Wow! I love the details on the cabinet...especially the red birds! And the quilt looks so old fashioned! Very lovely work :)
Anna said…
Yay! Two posts in one week!! I love the painted detail work, and hurray for finishing the quilt. Now you have the quilt bug! :)

Popular Posts