{"miss hollyhock and i"}
I chanced to meet Miss Hollyhock
And she and I went for a walk.
She wore a pinkish bonnet and dress,
And with me in my light brown coat and vest,
We spoke of winter's being so long
And happiness at springtime's song.
And then Miss Hollyhock sighed to me,
"Oh, dear Mr. Birdy, how can it be
That people no longer stop and gaze
At Spring with all her colorful arrays?
They don't get excited, they're much too busy
To see lovely spring. Oh, me!" in a tizzy.
"Now, now," I said, "Miss Hollyhock, dear,
I am your friend, and every year,
I stop and look with shining eyes
To see God's miracle, Spring arise.
And waken from her wintry bed
Where she for months has laid her head.
And soon the miracle begins
And once again I see my friends,
You flowers in your bonny clothes,
The bunnies, squirrels, ducks and does.
I see you all with new young ones,
And my own daughters and some sons.
And then from my own lofty skies,
I see what your own sigh belies.
For down amid the pretty colors,
The greens, the pinks, and many others,
I see a little laughing girl
With a sweet little dress and hair in curls.
And she walks along among you all
And touches your heads, and then she calls,
'Oh, flowers dear, I love you so,
I hate the seasons when you must go.
And that's why my fav'rite time of year
Is Spring, when flower friends are here.'
And so you see, Miss Hollyhock,
That a wee little girl in a pale blue frock
Is not too busy to see Spring's charms
And welcomes her with open arms.
And now I ask you, Miss Hollyhock,
To dry your tears, oh, do please stop."
I give her my kerchief and then my wing,
And then Miss Hollyhock begins to sing.
She sang of a girl in blue and curls
Who loves to see God's pretty world.
And I, well, I joined in her song, for
Singing's my favorite. I sing all day long.
To see lovely spring. Oh, me!" in a tizzy.
"Now, now," I said, "Miss Hollyhock, dear,
I am your friend, and every year,
I stop and look with shining eyes
To see God's miracle, Spring arise.
And waken from her wintry bed
Where she for months has laid her head.
And soon the miracle begins
And once again I see my friends,
You flowers in your bonny clothes,
The bunnies, squirrels, ducks and does.
I see you all with new young ones,
And my own daughters and some sons.
And then from my own lofty skies,
I see what your own sigh belies.
For down amid the pretty colors,
The greens, the pinks, and many others,
I see a little laughing girl
With a sweet little dress and hair in curls.
And she walks along among you all
And touches your heads, and then she calls,
'Oh, flowers dear, I love you so,
I hate the seasons when you must go.
And that's why my fav'rite time of year
Is Spring, when flower friends are here.'
And so you see, Miss Hollyhock,
That a wee little girl in a pale blue frock
Is not too busy to see Spring's charms
And welcomes her with open arms.
And now I ask you, Miss Hollyhock,
To dry your tears, oh, do please stop."
I give her my kerchief and then my wing,
And then Miss Hollyhock begins to sing.
She sang of a girl in blue and curls
Who loves to see God's pretty world.
And I, well, I joined in her song, for
Singing's my favorite. I sing all day long.
>>by Yella Rose, 2015<<

Comments